Mr. Knight's third grade classroom appears normal; there are math worksheets in the basket, vocab words on the board, and spelling tests every week. However, if you peek your head in during music time, you will see a group of quiet children transformed into budding singers and actors. For the past few years, Mr. Knight's class has written and performed an opera with an original story, lyrics, tunes, costumes, and stage set.

As the Arts Bridge Representative in Mr. Knight's classroom, I have the wonderful opportunity to help the children prepare for their operatic experience. The theme for their opera this year is Living vs. Non-living things (Science Standard 2).

My goals for the class are that the children will...
1) Develop basic vocal technique, sing in tune, and sing out.
2) Build confidence in their own singing.
3) Write a good opera that encorporates the science core.
4) Understand the structure of an opera and important opera vocabulary.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

#7 AUDIENCE ETIQUETTE

State Standards and Objetives

Standard 3 Objective 1d: Create together a new song. As a class choose the subject, compose the verse. Consider solo/chorus for the structure. Decide what volume, timbres, and tempo to use.
Standard 4 Objective 2a: Explain, demonstrate, and judge own ability to exhibit appropriate audience etiquette according to type of musical performance.

Learning Objectives
·      Students will act out different characters or scenes of their opera.
·      Students will learn and demonstrate proper audience etiquette.

Lesson
Brain Vomit notebook!
I started the lesson by playing the game “When I was One.” The children LOVE this game! I then had all of the children pull out their Brain Vomit notebook and gave them 2-3 minutes to share some things they had written with a partner. I love giving them time to share their ideas because I believe giving them opportunities to share their writing is essential.
After this, I had them all gather around the piano leaving an empty space in the front. I then asked a few children to be different characters, and then we acted out a few of the scenes. I wanted the children to start feeling comfortable acting, and I also thought it would be helpful to let the children “see” what their story might look like.
I also decided to focus on the audience a little more. I thought it would be good for the children to see a few parts of their play from the audience’s point of view. While the children acted out certain scenes, I asked the children to think about and write down how they felt. Did the angry dinosaur make them feel angry too, or did it make them feel scared? I wanted them to think about how their story would effect the audience. I also discussed proper audience etiquette.
At the end of the lesson I gave them each a small sheet of paper and asked them to write down 1) what they thought and felt during the performances, 2) how they behaved as an audience member, and 3) a score of 1-5 on how good they were as an audience member.
 I think the lesson idea was good, but there were a few things that could make it better. First, it would have been really good to tell the children at the beginning of the lesson what I would be assessing them on. I should have explained my expectations for being a good audience, and explained that they would be giving themselves a score on how they did. This would have helped their behavior and been more fair to them.

I also needed to be more consistent in managing their behavior. At times it got a bit out of hand, so I should have planned things out a little better.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Laurann!

    I love reading about your classroom every time you post! I thought your lesson was amazing and very comprehensive! I love how you taught drama, music, literacy, and social skills! It's very important at this age for children to learn how their actions affect others and you addressed this very nicely while teaching them a skill they will use for the rest of their lives! Great job!

    ReplyDelete