Mr. Knight's third grade classroom appears normal; there are math worksheets in the basket, vocab words on the board, and spelling tests every week. However, if you peek your head in during music time, you will see a group of quiet children transformed into budding singers and actors. For the past few years, Mr. Knight's class has written and performed an opera with an original story, lyrics, tunes, costumes, and stage set.

As the Arts Bridge Representative in Mr. Knight's classroom, I have the wonderful opportunity to help the children prepare for their operatic experience. The theme for their opera this year is Living vs. Non-living things (Science Standard 2).

My goals for the class are that the children will...
1) Develop basic vocal technique, sing in tune, and sing out.
2) Build confidence in their own singing.
3) Write a good opera that encorporates the science core.
4) Understand the structure of an opera and important opera vocabulary.

Friday, November 20, 2015

#6 MUSIC MOODS

State Standards and Objectives
  • Standard 3 Objective 1d: Create together a new song. As a class choose the subject, compose the verse. Consider solo/chorus for the structure. Decide what volume, timbres, and tempo to use.
  • Standard 3 Objective 1f: Compare and contrast creating different timbres in music with creating varied “colors” in other things.


Learning Objectives
  • The students will identify the different ways I play Farmer in the Dell.
  • They will apply the use of different sounds to their opera.
  • They will create the 5 basic sentences for their opera story line.

Lesson
           
            Today Jane Nelson came to observe my lesson, and I invited her to play an opening game with the class. She played a rhyming game called, “When I was one.” The children LOVED it! They were all engaged and having a good time. I was really grateful to see how Jane did the opener activity because it gave me a better of idea how powerful a fun game like that can be.
            Then the children shared things they had written in their Brain Vomit notebooks with a partner, and I instructed them to divide two pages of their notebook into four equal sections. I then told them I would be playing a song in different ways, and I wanted them to color or write how the music made them feel. I then played six variations of The Farmer in the Dell: 1) soft and sweet, 2) big and loud, 3) slow and high, 4) quick and simple, 5) minor key, and 6) Alberti base. We then discussed how the volume, tempo, and mood of the song effects how you feel and what you think. We then discussed what type of tune would go with parts of their story: Tornado, Snow, Zombies, and Dinosaurs.
            We then went to the carpet and continued discussing ideas for their story. Once again, almost everyone participated and they gave a lot of good ideas. However, I did not know how to consolidate their ideas and start bringing things together.
            Jane ended the lesson by playing a little of “When I was one” game which ended the lesson on a positive note.
            The music exploration part of the lesson went really well. I was impressed by how well the students participated and how well they seemed to capture what I was teaching. The biggest problem I am having right now is transitioning from the brainstorming stage to actually writing the opera. Luckily, I have a wonderful mentor who gave me some suggestions.
  • I have been writing the children’s ideas on a big pad of paper that sits on my lap. Jane suggested that the children need to be able to see all of their ideas. For the next lesson I am going to make up a poster with the main ideas they have had and hang it up on the board.
  • I need to walk around the room when I am instructing instead of staying in the front of the room.
  • When the children give ideas, instead of saying “I like that,” I should say things like “That was a good idea,” or “What you said gave me a good picture of what the opera will be like.” As I give more specific feedback, the children will feel more comfortable sharing their ideas.
  • I should turn the piano to the side so that I can see all of the children.
  • If I start loosing their attention I can use a simple song like “sing with me” to bring them back.
  • She also gave me some wonderful ideas for my next lesson to help the opera to progress. I am so grateful for Jane! She is wonderful!


No comments:

Post a Comment