Mr. Knight's third grade classroom appears normal; there are math worksheets in the basket, vocab words on the board, and spelling tests every week. However, if you peek your head in during music time, you will see a group of quiet children transformed into budding singers and actors. For the past few years, Mr. Knight's class has written and performed an opera with an original story, lyrics, tunes, costumes, and stage set.

As the Arts Bridge Representative in Mr. Knight's classroom, I have the wonderful opportunity to help the children prepare for their operatic experience. The theme for their opera this year is Living vs. Non-living things (Science Standard 2).

My goals for the class are that the children will...
1) Develop basic vocal technique, sing in tune, and sing out.
2) Build confidence in their own singing.
3) Write a good opera that encorporates the science core.
4) Understand the structure of an opera and important opera vocabulary.

Friday, November 13, 2015

#4- DINOSAURS


State Standards and Objectives Covered

Reading Literature standard 1:
“Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.”

Learning Objectives
  • Students will identify their singing voices.
  • Students will create a basic 5 sentence story line for their opera.
  • Students will become more familiar with Dinosaurs (one of the main topics of their opera).


Lesson
            We started by playing “Oh here we all together” and having them quickly sit in their chairs. The children all loved it!
Kaylee singing the living thing song
            Then we talked more about living and non-living things. After introducing the fact that living things eat and drink, I taught them The Living Things Song. I wrote these lyrics to the tune of “Once There was a Snowman.”
1.     Once I was a living thing, living thing, living thing. Once I was a living thing small small small. (Action: shrink down to the ground)
2.     Soon I started growing, growing, growing. Soon I started growing, tall, tall, tall. (Action: slowly grow taller)
3.     I learned that I could move around, move around, move around. I learned that I could move around, all the way around. (Action: Spin around)
4.     Living things breathe in and out, in and out, in and out. Living things breathe in and out, so that they can live. (Action: Move your hands towards your body and then away)
5.     Living things reproduce, reproduce, reproduce, Living things reproduce or have a family. (Action: rocking a baby)
6.     And we all like to eat, like to eat, like to eat. And we all like to eat, yum, yum, yum! (Action: act like you are eating).

After learning the song, we read a story about a group of children who traveled in a time machine to the time of the Dinosaurs. I chose this book because the children had talked about setting their opera on a land of Dinosaurs, and I hoped this would give them some ideas. After reading the book we continued discussing ideas for their opera. I had hoped to solidify the 5 main sentences, but we ended up only coming up with one: “College students go to an island of Dinosaurs.”
Overall, this lesson was not very effective. The beginning game and Living Things Song went fine, but looking back, it may not have been what the children needed. I had originally planned on helping them identify and improve their singing voices; however, I forgot and I think we took too much time reading the story about Dinosaurs. The story was fine but it probably was not the most effective use of time.

I also tried to have the children vote for the ideas they liked. This worked well, but Mr. Knight suggested afterwards that if someone suggests a really good idea that will work well with the story, I should accept it even if there isn’t a majority vote. 

I learned a lot from this lesson. I especially realized how important it is to help every child be involved. It is easy to feel like the lesson is going well when you have 6 or 7 kids who are really involved; however, I need to be more aware of the other 15 children who are not saying anything.

1 comment:

  1. Laurann,

    Although I see what you mean about the effectiveness of the lesson, I still felt like your ideas are really good ones! I think you are on the right track getting the children learning and thinking about dinosaurs. It can be quite difficult to get children to come up with ideas when put on the spot. If you are looking for a good storyline, think about starting the story and going from child to child to finish the story. For instance, you would say "the college students found themselves stranded on an island of dinosaurs and then..." pass to the next child, who should respond with the next part of the story. Even if they don't all have good ideas, they are all involved and then you can help the children pick and choose which 5 ideas to use in the opera. Overall, I think you are doing an amazing job! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete